Our 50 hp TLDI® outboard is leading the way in new technology! The Tohatsu 50hp TLDI® is one of the smallest outboards on the market with air-assisted, direct fuel injection. This outboard provides exceptionally smooth operation and outstanding performance all the while providing superior fuel and oil efficiency.
This outboard is every boater’s dream. Tohatsu even won the Motorboating magazine’s “Editor’s Choice Award” for this new outboard! The 50 hp TLDI® is heralded as the outboard to buy for the 21st century!
We have added this new low-pressure air/fuel delivery system to our proven engine block to give you an outboard that is cleaner for the environment while also giving you the exceptional performance you expect from a Tohatsu. This engine provides lower oil and fuel consumption in a compact yet powerful outboard package. Our 50 hp TLDI® weighs up to 15% less than competitive 4-stroke outboards and meets all EPA emission regulations.
If you’re looking for a tiller model, we now offer a multi-function tiller handle as standard equipment. This tiller handle includes all controls conveniently located on the handle for easy access giving you more control, better maneuverability and increased safety.
The 50hp TLDI® combines award-winning technology with proven dependability to offer you this truly unique outboard!
Tohatsu 50 hp TLDIR Benefits
- Air assisted direct fuel injection system that provides excellent fuel economy
- Extremely quiet operation
- Excellent horsepower-to-weight ratio
- Lightweight and compact
- Available in short (15”) & long (20”) shaft lengths
- Ultra-low emission, EPA and CARB approved
- 5 Year limited warranty
High Performance and Easy Operation
- Inductive ignition system for reliable starting
- Outstanding acceleration
- Oil reservoir located on the top of the motor for quicker and easier refill onboard
- Multi-point oil injection system to more completely lubricate vital engine components
- Power Trim & Tilt
- Remote control box**
Fundamentals for User Convenience and Reliability
- Through-the-prop exhaust for a quieter ride
- Thermostatically controlled cooling system for consistent engine temperature
- Stainless steel water pump housing liner for outstanding durability
- High grade marine aluminum alloy that provides the ultimate protection against corrosion
- Zinc coating on internal water passages for superior corrosion resistance
- User adjustable idle and trolling speeds
- Tachometer and Trim & Tilt Gauge**
- Aluminum propeller
Warning and Protection
- Low oil level warning (visual and audible)
- Overheat warning (visual and audible)
- Battery voltage warning (visual only)
- Start-in-gear protection for safer engine starting
- Safety lanyard (an essential protection feature standard on all Tohatsu outboards)
- Over-rev. limiter
The TLDI® series are Tohatsu's award winning outboard motors that have an established reputation for being compact in size while demonstrating highly desired features such as low emissions and high fuel economy that are demanded by the new generation of boaters.
They are powered by a direct fuel injection system and a 32 bit ECU (Engine Control Unit). The ECU gives precise fuel injection instructions in accordance to the operating conditions detected by the multiple sensors located on the motor. The TLDI® outboard motors meets all of the emission regulations stipulated by EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CARB (California Air Resources Board).
Click here to read our TLDI® series "Frequently Asked Questions" page.
Multi-Function Tiller Handle is available on select models.
The multi-function tiller handle features an ergonomically designed shift lever for easy and convenient shifting as well as a longer throttle grip with 110 degrees rotation for easier maneuverability. All controls on the new multi-function tiller are conveniently located on the handle for easy access and control. More specifically, the gear shift, throttle control, trim switch, safety lanyard cord, TLDIR warning lights, and electric start key switch are all integrated in the tiller handle.
Engine Control Unit (ECU)
The 32 bit engine control unit controls the fuel injection and ignition timing for TLDI® outboards.
One of TLDI®'s essential engine components that is the driving force in achieving stabilized fuel injection.
Direct fuel Injection into Cylinders
Due to the intrinsic design of the chamber on the cylinder head, the finely atomized fuel mist created by the fuel injector is injected near the spark plug to achieve ideal combustion.
The tachometer informs the operator of potential problems through the meter indicator and warning lamp. (Remote models only.)
3-Step Trolling Speed Control
The idling speed can be set to any of the three rpm ranges, 700, 800 or 900, by adjusting it on your key switch. This feature allows you to select the ideal trolling speed for maneuvering during a variety of current and wind conditions.
|Engine (No. of Cylinder)||3|
|Output||50 hp (36.8 kw)|
|Displacement||697 cc (42.5 cu.in.)|
|Bore x Stroke||68 x 64 mm (2.68 x 2.52 in)|
|Control Type||Remote Control or Tiller Handle|
|Gear Shift||Forward - Neutral - Reverse|
|Propeller Selection Range||7" - 15"|
|Transom Height||15", 20"|
|Fuel||Unleaded Gasoline (87 Octane)|
|Oil Type||Premium TCW-3 or Recommended|
|Weight*||205.7 lbs. (93.5 kg)|
|Alternator Output||12V, 280W, 23A|
|Max. RPM Range||5,150 - 5,850|
|Direct Fuel Injection||S|
|Inductive Ignition System||S|
|Start In Gear Protection||S|
|Thermostat Controlled Cooling System||S|
|Power Trim and Tilt||S|
|Variable Idle Speed||700, 800, 900 rpm|
|Model||MSRP||Shaft Length||Cylinders||Electric Start||Tiller Handle||Remote Control||12V Charging