The Tohatsu 40hp TLDI® is one of the smallest engines available with air-assisted direct injection technology. This outboard has all of the benefits of new and improved 21st century technology without compromising power or performance.
We have added this new low-pressure air/fuel delivery system to our proven engine block to give you an outboard superior to al others. It provides exceptional fuel savings over 4-Strokes and conventional 2-Strokes alike and is very gentle on the environment.
If you’re looking for a tiller model, we now offer a multi-function tiller handle as standard equipment. This tiller handle includes all controls conveniently located on the handle for easy access giving you more control, better maneuverability and increased safety. And our 40 hp TLDI® outboard weighs up to 15% less than competitive 4-stroke outboards and meets EPA emission regulations.
When clean, mean outboard power is what you need, look no further than the Tohatsu 40hp TLDI®.
Tohatsu 40 hp ® Benefits
- Air assisted direct fuel injection system that provides excellent fuel economy
- Extremely quiet operation
- Excellent horsepower-to-weight ratio
- Lightweight and compact
- Available in short (15”) & long (20”) shaft lengths
- Ultra-low emission, EPA and CARB approved
- 5 Year limited warranty
High Performance and Easy Operation
- Inductive ignition system for reliable starting
- Outstanding acceleration
- Oil reservoir located on the top of the motor for quicker and easier refill onboard
- Multi-point oil injection system to more completely lubricate vital engine components
- Power Trim & Tilt
- Remote control box**
Fundamentals for User Convenience and Reliability
- Through-the-prop exhaust for a quieter ride
- Thermostatically controlled cooling system for consistent engine temperature
- Stainless steel water pump housing liner for outstanding durability
- High grade marine aluminum alloy that provides the ultimate protection against corrosion
- Zinc coating on internal water passages for superior corrosion resistance
- User adjustable idle and trolling speeds
- Tachometer and Trim & Tilt Gauge**
- Aluminum propeller
Warning and Protection
- Low oil level warning (visual and audible)
- Overheat warning (visual and audible)
- Battery voltage warning (visual only)
- Start-in-gear protection for safer engine starting
- Safety lanyard (an essential protection feature standard on all Tohatsu outboards)
- Over-rev. limiter
The TLDI® series are Tohatsu's award winning outboard motors that have an established reputation for being compact in size while demonstrating highly desired features such as low emissions and high fuel economy that are demanded by the new generation of boaters.
They are powered by a direct fuel injection system and a 32 bit ECU (Engine Control Unit). The ECU gives precise fuel injection instructions in accordance to the operating conditions detected by the multiple sensors located on the motor. The TLDI® outboard motors meets all of the emission regulations stipulated by EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CARB (California Air Resources Board).
Click here to read our TLDI® series "Frequently Asked Questions" page.
|Engine (No. of Cylinder)||3|
|Output||40 hp (29.4 kw)|
|Displacement||697 cc (42.5 cu.in.)|
|Bore x Stroke||68 x 64 mm (2.68 x 2.52 in)|
|Control Type||Remote Control or Tiller Handle|
|Gear Shift||Forward - Neutral - Reverse|
|Propeller Selection Range||7" - 15"|
|Transom Height||15", 20"|
|Fuel||Unleaded Gasoline (87 Octane)|
|Oil Type||Premium TCW-3 or Recommended|
|Weight*||205.7 lbs. (93.5 kg)|
|Alternator Output||12V, 280W, 23A|
|Max. RPM Range||5,150 - 5,850|
|Direct Fuel Injection||Standard|
|Inductive Ignition System||Standard|
|Start In Gear Protection||Standard|
|Thermostat Controlled Cooling System||Standard|
|Power Trim and Tilt||Standard|
|Variable Idle Speed||700, 800, 900 rpm|