Unmatched in its class, the Tohatsu 9.8 hp 4-stroke has set the standard in portable outboard power! This lightweight motor weighs in at barely over the 80 lb mark and has undeniable characteristics of a true marine champion.
Our 9.8hp outboard is skinny on fuel and big on power while never compromising performance or reliability. It has a ton of features that are usually only found on larger, more expensive outboards. We pack a lot of punch for the buck in this truly unique outboard! In the 10 hp/9.9 hp category, Tohatsu has once again proven itself the leader of the pack with this 9.8 hp 4-stroke.
9.8hp Power Tilt Models Now Available! Tohatsu’s 9.8 hp has a new option. Power Tilt! That’s right, our award winning 9.8hp engines have an added feature that sets it miles apart from the competition. You can’t beat the power and reliability of Tohatsu’s 9.8hp and now with the new power tilt option, why would you try anything else?
Tohatsu 9.8 hp 4-Stroke Benefits
- Light and compact!
- Designed with proven technology
- Available in a wide variety of models
- Greatly reduced vibration for smooth and stable running at all speeds
- Greatly reduced induction noise for a quieter ride
- Trim tab reduces steering effort, functioning also as the sacrificial anode that protects the engine from electrolysis
- Ultra Low emission, EPA and CARB 3-Star rating approved
- 5 Year limited warranty
Easy Operation and Handling
- Digital CD ignition for easier engine starting, quicker throttle response and smoother trolling
- Manual choke on tiller models, electric choke on remote models
- Recoil starter with larger reel making manual starting fast and easy
- Shallow water drive*
- 6 trim positions*
- Adjustable steering friction for reducing steering effort*
Fundamentals for User Convenience and Reliability
- Through-the-prop exhaust for a quieter ride
- Thermostatically controlled cooling system for consistent engine temperature
- Stainless steel water pump housing liner for outstanding durability
- High grade marine aluminum alloy that provides the ultimate protection against corrosion
- Zinc coating on internal water passages for superior corrosion resistance
- 3.1 Gallon (12 liter) fuel tank with fuel gauge
- Aluminum propeller
- Low oil pressure indicator
- Safety lanyard (an essential protection feature standard on all Tohatsu outboards)
- Start-in-gear protection for safer engine starting
- Over-rev. limiter
The shift lever is located on the front of the motor for easier operation.
Our air-intake system has a large volume air silencer to ensure engine starting and to suppress air-intake noise during engine operation.
Wide Anti-Cavitation Plate with Trim Tab
The wide anti-cavitation plate effectively restrains the propeller from cavitating. The large trim tab helps to achieve effortless steering at high speeds while also providing corrosion protection.
|Engine (No. of Cylinder)||2|
|Output||9.8 hp (7.2 kw)|
|Displacement||209 cc (12.8 cu.in.)|
|Bore x Stroke||55 x 44 mm (2.17 x 1.73 in)|
|Starting||Electric or Manual|
|Control Type||Remote Control or Tiller Handle|
|Gear Shift||Forward - Neutral - Reverse|
|Propeller Selection Range||6.5" - 9.5"|
|Transom Height||15", 20", 25"|
|Fuel||Unleaded Gasoline (87 Octane)|
|Oil Type||NMMA Certified FC-W® 4-stroke oil** SAE 10W-30/40 (SF, SG, SH, SJ)|
|Oil Capacity||27 fl. oz. (800 mL)|
|Fuel Tank||3.1 US Gal. (12 Lit) Separate Fuel Tank|
|Weight*||81.5 lbs. (37 kg)|
|Alternator Output||Optional: 12V, 80W, 6A (Standard on Electric Start Models)|
|Max. RPM Range||5,000 - 6,000|
|Digital CD Ignition System||S|
|Start In Gear Protection||S|
|Thermostat Controlled Cooling System||S|
|Oil Pressure Warning||S|
|Shallow Water Drive||S|
|Model||MSRP||Shaft Length||Cylinders||Electric Start||Tiller Handle||12V Charging
|Remote Fuel Tank||Propeller|