Unmatched in its class, the Tohatsu 9.8 hp 4-stroke has set the standard in portable outboard power! This lightweight motor weighs in at barely over the 80 lb mark and has undeniable characteristics of a true marine champion.
Our 9.8hp outboard is skinny on fuel and big on power while never compromising performance or reliability. It has a ton of features that are usually only found on larger, more expensive outboards. We pack a lot of punch for the buck in this truly unique outboard! In the 10 hp/9.9 hp category, Tohatsu has once again proven itself the leader of the pack with this 9.8 hp 4-stroke.
Back by popular demand MFS9.8BEFUL SailPro model is now available.
Click for details → MFS9.8BEFUL Sail Pro
Tohatsu 9.8 hp 4-Stroke Benefits
- Light and compact!
- Designed with proven technology
- Reduced vibration for smooth and stable running at all speeds
- Greatly reduced induction noise for a quieter ride
- Trim tab reduces steering effort, functioning also as the sacrificial anode that protects the engine from electrolysis
- Ultra Low emission, EPA and CARB 3-Star rating approved
- 5 Year limited warranty
Easy Operation and Handling
- Digital CD ignition for easier engine starting, quicker throttle response and smoother trolling
- Manual choke on tiller models
- Recoil starter with larger reel making manual starting fast and easy
- Shallow water drive*
- 6 trim positions*
- Adjustable steering friction for reducing steering effort*
Fundamentals for User Convenience and Reliability
- Through-the-prop exhaust for a quieter ride
- Thermostatically controlled cooling system for consistent engine temperature
- Stainless steel water pump housing liner for outstanding durability
- High grade marine aluminum alloy that provides the ultimate protection against corrosion
- Zinc coating on internal water passages for superior corrosion resistance
- 3.1 Gallon (12 liter) fuel tank with fuel gauge
- Aluminum propeller
- Low oil pressure indicator
- Safety lanyard (an essential protection feature standard on all Tohatsu outboards)
- Start-in-gear protection for safer engine starting
- Over-rev. limiter
The shift lever is located on the front of the motor for easier operation.
Our air-intake system has a large volume air silencer to ensure engine starting and to suppress air-intake noise during engine operation.
Wide Anti-Cavitation Plate with Trim Tab
The wide anti-cavitation plate effectively restrains the propeller from cavitating. The large trim tab helps to achieve effortless steering at high speeds while also providing corrosion protection.
|Engine (No. of Cylinder)||2|
|Output||9.8 hp (7.2 kw)|
|Displacement||209 cc (12.8 cu.in.)|
|Bore x Stroke||55 x 44 mm (2.17 x 1.73 in)|
|Starting||Electric or Manual|
|Control Type||Tiller Handle|
|Gear Shift||Forward - Neutral - Reverse|
|Propeller Selection Range||6.5" - 9.5"|
|Transom Height||15", 20". 25"|
|Fuel||Unleaded Gasoline (87 Octane)|
|Oil Type||NMMA Certified FC-W® 4-stroke oil** SAE 10W-30/40 (SF, SG, SH, SJ)|
|Oil Capacity||27 fl. oz. (800 mL)|
|Fuel Tank||3.1 US Gal. (12 Lit) Separate Fuel Tank|
|Weight*||81.5 lbs. (37 kg)|
|Alternator Output||Optional: 12V, 80W, 6A (Standard on Electric Start Models)|
|Max. RPM Range||5,000 - 6,000|
|Digital CD Ignition System||Standard|
|Start In Gear Protection||Standard|
|Thermostat Controlled Cooling System||Standard|
|Oil Pressure Warning||Standard|
|Shallow Water Drive||Standard|